Although he would have liked to remain a Magpie, the Gold Coast Suns had shown interest in him late in the season. He was still able to keep his AFL dream alive as an unlisted free agent.
“Madge’ has faced injury challenges this year and his positive attitude and resilience are to be commended,” said Magpies football boss Graham Wright.
“Caleb has shown potential at the AFL level over the past two seasons. He is still in the early days of his career and has worked hard to develop his craft in the VFL.”
Murley, a midfielder who was selected last year’s squad 49 in the national draft, has been told by Collingwood that he will return via the rookie draft.
Despite vaulting from the 17th last season to the eve of a major final berth this year, the Magpies have not been shy about making changes. They scrapped Liam McMahon, Isaac Chugg and Callum and Tyler Brown last month and were busy landing Hawthorn Brownlow medalist Tom Mitchell, Brisbane forward Dan McStay, Giants forward Bobby Hill and Adelaide defender Billy Frampton during the trading period. .
However, they lost young forward Ollie Henry, who was traded to his favorite club Geelong, in a three-way deal that allowed Mitchell to cross over to the Pies, while two-time best and fairest winner Brodie Grundy was traded to Melbourne.
Bombers, Saints make changes
Essendon’s roster is still under review under new coach Brad Scott, with the Bombers now having 10 players leave since the end of a tumultuous season.
The Bombers made three more axes on Tuesday, confirming that Brayden Ham, Cody Brand and Alec Waterman will not return in 2023.
Ham, 23, has played 45 games for the club after being drafted with pick 72 in the 2018 national squad. The forward has played 11 games this year.
A former West Coast Eagle, Waterman, while not playing a senior game there, scored 27 goals in 22 games in two years for the Bombers after being caught in the 2021 additional roster for the season. Brand failed to play a senior match.
“We thank Cody, Brayden and Alec for their contributions to the club throughout their careers,” said Adrian Dodoro, general manager of List and Recruiting at Essendon.
The Bombers had already scrapped Tom Cutler, Tom Hird and Garrett McDonagh. Devon Smith and Michael Hurley are retired but Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, who retired mid-season, could return. He has also been associated with Fremantle. Defender Aaron Francis was traded to Sydney.
Meanwhile, St Kilda has taken Jarrod Lienert off the stock exchange. The 28-year old joined the Saints this year during the additional roster period, having played 23 games for Port Adelaide in four seasons. He played 11 games for the Saints.
Tuck lawyers call for AFL funding in coronal hearing
Lawyers representing the widow of former Richmond footballer Shane Tuck have asked the AFL to fund her case in Victoria’s Coroners Court as she seeks an explanation for her husband’s death.
Tuck’s counsel Greg Griffin said the pending case for state coroner John Cain had cost “hundreds of thousands of dollars” before a possible public trial, scheduled for next year, had begun.
Griffin wondered why the AFL would likely cover the legal costs of the five families involved in charges of racism against Hawthorn but not help Tuck in a case that could have major implications for the league.
A submission has been submitted to the AFL that for the five families involved in the Hawks’ racism case to participate in hearings on an equal footing with the accused, the league must cover all legal costs.
Tuck committed suicide in 2020 and was posthumously diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a brain degeneration linked to repeated head trauma.
“I filed with the AFL that it should state its position, as it is doing for the Hawthorn Indigenous Issues Inquiry, that it would pay Ms. Tuck’s legal fees. The response from the senior adviser to the AFL was absolute, that there was no prospect of the AFL funding of Ms. Tuck’s legal costs in any way,” Griffin said. The age.
“This is after the coroner set aside dates for what could be a 14-day hearing in the Coroners Court – a 14-day hearing that doesn’t even address the issues of major concern to the widow, namely who is responsible for the death of Shane Tuck.
“Shane Tuck had stage four CTE when he died. If he hadn’t gone to play for Richmond, he would undoubtedly still be alive today.
“I think the AFL is very happy to announce its $4.5 billion broadcast deal, but is completely and utterly opposed to… financing the costs of those who cannot afford to pay theirs.” .
That said, it is willing to put all necessary funds into the Hawthorn investigation while leaving Shane Tuck’s widow for not following their rules to cover her own costs.
“Do you think the AFL will build a Shane Tuck concussion center on Punt Rd at the end of this? It won’t be because Kath Tuck dared to know who is responsible for her husband’s death.”
Tuck played 173 games for the Tigers between 2004 and 2013 and had a brief boxing career after retiring. The corona investigation is ongoing.
Griffin is also working on a class action against the AFL for concussion and head trauma, again scoffing at suggestions players would settle if the AFL introduced a multi-million dollar compensation fund. Prominent attorney Peter Gordon has been tasked by the AFL to investigate how a fund would work.
If you or someone you know needs support, give us a call lifeline at 131 114.
Stay tuned for the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.